free counters

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Block Sanding

I have come to the sad realization that I am just not cut out for this block sanding malarkey. I know, it’s dreadfully important and the finished job is only as good as the preparation but nevertheless what a performance it all is. I suppose the problem is that I am more suited to instant gratification, you know the sort of thing, hit the bong and hey presto, you’re there. Pop three bottles of Milwaukee’s finest down your neck on an empty stomach and woohoo. Block sanding, on the other hand, comprises of wrapping a sheet of 80 grade around a rubber former and bashing away for 30 minutes. At the end of it you have simply transferred the filler from the car to your eyes, nostrils and other assorted orifices. Then (and get this) you smear more filler into the area you have just sanded down and you start again. Jesus what a life. This is the sort of work clearly suited to Marco except for the fact that the invisible man is still doing his impersonation of the Scarlet Pimpernel, they seek him here, they seek him there and so on. As soon as the itinerant lead swinger turns up I shall be able to get back to scouring the four corners of Gene’s beer fridge, and that my friends is where I am a Viking.

On a more reverent note, there is a design issue with the Galaxie. Apparently there are six spot where the panels are lead soldered together and seamed with lead. Over the years this sets up problems with the lead cracking and damaging the paintwork. In addition the lead has some sort of acid effect on the paint. In fact you can clearly see on the top of the rear wing what can only be described as acne. According to my mentor we shall be running the torch over these areas and melting out the lead to replace it with modern filler. Did I mention how great this Galaxie is going to be?

No comments: